Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Neoformation Manifesto: Act 2

Act 2

I know that God uses broken people to reach broken people.

I know that broken people in ministry is messy.

I also know that broken people are often more effective than those who define themselves as "refined."

I know that the promiscuous woman at the well is one of my heroes…and so is Peter the hothead…along with David the murdering adulterer.

I know that I'm tired of the "rules" of church…both written and unwritten.

If the Lord moves someone to tears in worship, they should cry.

If someone has cause to dance before the Lord, let them dance.

Let there be shouts of praise, the clapping and the raising of hands.

Let loud instruments resound with praise.

Let the halls of worship actually be filled with worship.

Oh to walk into a sanctuary (why use this word?) and see the people of God dancing, singing, clapping, shouting, on their faces, loving their neighbors, cheering one another on, and not arriving alone, but with the least, the last, and the lost…who in God's eyes, are the most, the first, and the found.

Does there need to be organization to all of this worship and church madness? Of course. Let's not forget that the root word for organization is the same as organic…implying life. And where the organization begins to choke out life, then it must be changed or even put to death so a new organization can form.

Let those who call themselves Christians or followers of Christ not forget to talk with their God. Let those who are in control of churches surrender themselves fully in prayer. Let the meetings surrounding the organization of the church not just give a lip-service prayer at the beginning as if saying a cursory grace at the dinner table. No, let the broken-barbarian-warrior-worshipers cry out to their God for mercy, direction, and discernment! And let that happen repeatedly, throughout the meeting seeking to be led by the Spirit.

Let pastors be shepherds who fight off the wolves which prowl. Let them call the congregation by name. And let them lead those congregations in the wildernesses of this world and to find other sheep.

Let them be compassionate, and yet dangerous.

Let pastors not hoard the ministry unto themselves, but be strong encouragers for the church to be actively engaged in constant, extravagant love living out Matthew 25, feeding those who are hungry, visiting those who are sick or in prison, giving clothes to those in need…giving toasters to those who need a toaster, rides to the store, mowing lawns, doing car and home repairs, and also traveling to foreign and/or far-away places to love on people. Let pastors be lovers…lovers of God…lovers of people.

Let churches everywhere throw open their doors…or maybe even unlock their gated "Christian" communities.

Nothing is sacred. Nothing. Only someone, and His name is Jesus. Everything else from the building to the music to the programs to the staff…literally everything else is negotiable for the sake of loving on people so they may be restored to themselves and to God. And if a congregation doesn't get that…then maybe they are goats. (Hmmm…think Caesarea of Philippi, and the worship of the god, Pan and the horrendous acts committed with goats.)

Let the sinners come to church if they feel so inclined.

In fact, if a church isn't actively loving on sinners so much that they have a desire to come to church, then once again, maybe they're goats?

I long to see gay and lesbian people in churches getting loved on.

I can't wait to hear the "eff" word in church some morning.

I yearn to smell alcohol on someone's breath as they come forward to receive prayer or communion.

Oh, to have a hooker come into church, crushing out her cigarette in the entry way, and applying her lipstick as she comes into the worship service.

I'm anxious to hear confessions of sinners because that indicates brokenness and a desire to realize that they are new creations in Christ.

Oh yes, let the sinners come! Let the doors be thrown wide! Swing wide ye heavenly gates! Prepare the way of the risen Lord! For as you love the least, the last, and the lost, so you have loved Christ! And as you throw open the doors of your churches to broken people, so you have welcomed Christ into your midst. And the word will spread: there is Love in this place.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Andy O. writes:

Shane,

For the most part I'm feeling what you say.

I care deeply about how you sense God calling you 'specifically' to engage in the work of ministry. What I get from your manifesto is a philosophy of serving the King. What you write and what you've said in the past provide a coherant, quite credible framework for me. Again, what I care most about is YOUR contribution to the cause of Jesus.


Andy Owzarek

Anonymous said...

I remember some of this from a sermon in Cannon Falls. It really made me think then about what true faith is and it's smacking me in the head again. It's really disconcerting how you do that. :)

Unknown said...

Well, bless you Buleth for your comment. And I hope the head-smacking wasn't too terribly painful...but rather a gentle reminder!

And, by the way, who are you?!? :o)

Anonymous said...

Lisa Egan! And I would like to add that I now have two songs stalking me. "Can anyone hear her" and "While I'm Waiting." I've realized the first is following me around on my path to fully forgiving Wendy. I'm still not sure about the second one though.

Do you ever start to feel like Alvin and have the urge to yell "OKAAAY!" to no one in particular?